Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Struggles

Sunday was hard. I mean really hard. I was tired, I was cranky and I was emotional... and nothing felt like it was going right. I wanted to eat so bad. It wasn't that I was hungry (you've seen what I eat on a daily basis), but that's how I've dealt with hard days for as long as I can remember. When I'm stressed, I eat. When I'm sad, I eat. When I'm bored, I eat... You get the picture.

I don't expect everyone to understand what I'm talking about here, but seperating my emotions from food has been the hardest part of this journey so far. Sure, I miss eating some of my favorite foods (mmmm....nachos), but it's more than that. I miss the instant relief that I get when I eat for comfort. I miss the experience and ritual connected to eating. I miss the social connection of eating with friends and family.

I was excited to begin this life change, but now that the newness is wearing off I feel a little really lost. I imagine this is what it feels like when someone who is addicted to drugs makes the decision to become clean. I know that I need to find healthy ways to relieve stress, to comfort myself and to connect with those that I love. I need to discover new activites to do with my family that don't involve stopping for ice cream or a Happy Meal (don't judge). Most importantly, I know that I need to be kind to myself and to be patient- this will all take time.

Please share, what do you do to take care of yourself?

11 comments:

  1. Hey Liz,
    I love reading your blog!!! Your struggles post is great you know where the issue is an the struggles you are having now you just need to do something for you maybe! Find that one thing that can replace the food and that is good for you! Play with the boys or doing something fun anytime you feel like you need to eat! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! You rock girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's tough as a Mama to make time for myself, but I keep reminding myself that if I'm happy and healthy, the boys will be too!

      Delete
    2. Exactly!!! It is very hard to have two kids work full time and find time for yourself!!!

      Jess :)

      Delete
    3. Very Well said Liz! I can related! I come from a family who celebrates everything with eating, and "treats" themselves to "well deserved" gorgings, and boy is the food good!! I find myself often feeling like I am missing out when everyone else is eating nachos and sipping margaritas and I am eating grilled chicken and drinking water. Then I start feeling a pity party for myself. LIke why can other people eat like no tomorrow and not gain a pound and i cheat one day and gain five! What helps me (and I think you did the same thing) was when I lost all my weight awhile back and was in a great groove and really feeling motivated. I never felt deprived then or like I was missing out. i was so proud of my accomplishments, i prided myself on my fantastic eating habits...hoping to get back to that point. But you hit the nail on the head. Food is my drug too. How is the challenge going fo far? And i agree, Mama time is SOO important. I healthy and happy mom certianly makes for a happy and healthy family! Loving the blog. Keep it up!

      Delete
    4. Yes, yes and yes! You totally get it! I really don't know how to get together with friends and NOT go out to eat or get drinks. So far things are going pretty well. I have so much more energy and am feeling good about the way I'm eating. How's your challenge??

      Delete
  2. Hang in there Mama! You are stronger than you know- the shakes will wear off pretty soon. And remember, alcohol numbs all emotions and takes the edge off hunger... Vodka should be part of any diet :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz, I really enjoy your blog, and I especially love this post. I feel the same way a lot, and I think it's something a lot of us struggle with. It's taken me a long time to find my substitutes, and I'm not always successful, but my favorite is drinking tea, especially at night when I'm watching t.v. It's so warming, and is this tiny special thing I can do for myself. It's a small reminder that I care for myself. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I replied last week- thank you for the tea idea. I'll def give that a try one of these chilly evenings!

      Delete
  4. First of all Thank you for this blog, I very much enjoy catching a ride on this awesome adventure..... Change is hard, we all know it, if things like quitting smoking or drinking, coming clean off drugs and yes loosing weight was easy we would all be thin and crazy!! I know you know everything I have to say, but you are doing great, and yes there will be hiccups along the way, again change is hard. For me running is my greatest stress reliever, maybe join a walking group or running group would help keep you motivated. You got this, stay strong, the prize at the end of this ride is so worth it! We are all here for you, one day at a time girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I replied to you last week too, but something went weird with my computer I guess. Thank you for your kind words. How did you get in to running?

      Delete