Monday, September 9, 2013

Simple Crock Pot Chili

As the days get cooler, I find myself craving warm comfort foods. I often use Sunday as my "cooking day." I'll make a big meal that we can enjoy that night making sure to add enough for leftovers for lunches during the week. This chili is so simple, delicious, affordable (I've included prices) and low in fat and calories. Disclaimer: On the cooking scale, I consider myself somewhere between Rachael Ray and Sandra Lee, but if you're not into pre-packaged convenience foods, I'm sure you can substitute fresh options.

Ingredients:

Pay no attention to the bottles of wine in the background

 
 20 oz lean ground turkey ($3.99)
1 small onion, diced ($.49)
1 small bell pepper, diced ($.69)
1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning ($.79)
1 can of corn, drained ($.67)
2 cans low sodium beans, drained and rinsed- I use one can of black and one can of red, but feel free to mix things up ($1.98)
3 cans diced tomatoes, include one can with chilis or jalapeƱos to add a little heat ($2.67)


Grand Total: $11.28 for over 10 cups!


Cook the turkey until no longer pink, drain off any liquid and mix everything together. The great thing about using the crock pot is that you can vary the cooking time based on how long it takes you to get your shit together much time you have available. I didn't get this started until noon, so I set the crockpot on high. But if you're a real go-getter, this could simmer on low all day. I threw together some cornbread (from a mix) and added a little low fat shredded cheese. Dinner was a hit with 75% of us (per usual)!  
 
What are your favorite recipes for fall?


No comments:

Post a Comment