Friday, September 20, 2013

Check In

Since I have a few days of eating differently under my belt I wanted to check in about how things are going. (I'm a social worker, so the term check in gets used on the regular).

What I'm Eating
For the first three days of the challenge I basically ate the same exact thing. Partially, I was anxious about making this change and sticking to a plan, but I also did a bunch of food prep on Sunday, so this is what I had readily available. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the plan, and have mixed things up a bit, but generally here's what I eat on an average day.

Breakfast
8 egg whites (yes 8!)
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup diced peppers and onions

Morning Snack
1/4 cup almonds
1 nectarine

Lunch
1-2 cups mixed greens with cucumbers and red peppers
4 oz salmon
1/2 cup chick peas
Lemon juice or balsamic vinegar for dressing
 

Afternoon Snack
2 tbs natural peanut butter
1 apple

Dinner
4-5 oz turkey breast
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup roasted broccoli

Evening Snack
Smoothie- 1 cup frozen fruit combined with 1/2 cup almond milk

As you can see, I'm eating frequently and taking in plenty of food! I plugged this average day into My Fitness Pal and I'm meeting all of my daily nutritional needs and still staying around 1600 calories (I'm still nursing, so I can't restrict too much). Previously, I was eating over closer to 2000 calories, but the volume of food was much lower and I was not getting nearly the nutrients I needed.

What I Miss
I'm not going to pretend this change has been all unicorns farts and rainbows. During the week, I'm often driving from one meeting to another, and I'd gotten into the habit of stopping for a cup of coffee or soda almost daily. I think it's the ritual more than the actual beverages that I miss, but it's been tough not to stop. To keep myself on track, I'm trying to focus on the amount of money I'm saving (about $10 per week, if not more). Dear Husband, please skip this next part- I'm looking forward to the fun things I'll be able to buy with the money I'm saving. Smaller clothes hopefully!

What I'm Learning
Real food tastes good.
Eating healthy takes practice and planning.
I feel better (physically and emotionally) when I eat healthy foods.
I have a strong emotional attachment to food.



No comments:

Post a Comment