Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Talking to Kids About Race: Don't Complicate It


Photo Credit
 
 
The other day we were riding home from daycare and out of nowhere, Harrison says, China people have eyes like this. And he pulled the corners of his eye out toward his ears.

Now, I'm a social worker, I'm "culturally competent"...so you can possibly imagine that inside, I was MOR-TI-FIED!!!

Yes, people from China do have eyes that look different than ours... but it's not ok to make fun.

I wasn't making fun, it's just how they look. And he proceeded to do the eye thing again. ::shudder::

Yes, people look lots of different ways- some are tall and some are short, some have light skin, and some have dark skin... but doing that with your eyes could hurt someones feelings- it might feel like you're making fun.

You mean like Dora? (oh yes, the poor girl whom you recently threatened to kick in the "bagina")

Yes, Dora is from Mexico (I think???) and her skin is a little darker than yours.

And the Ninja Turtles! They have green skin because they're from You Nork. (Translation: New York)

Yes, babe... just like the Ninja Turtles.

I know this won't be our last conversation about race- I made it clear that it's ok to notice people's differences, but not ok to make fun. Someday I want him to have a deeper understanding, to know what oppression means and that diversity is something to be fostered and not feared, but for now, I believe this was enough.


How have you handled similar conversations with young children?

6 comments:

  1. Mason was telling me about his day at school..
    "There was one boy who didn't cry today." M
    "Who was that?" N
    "The black one." M

    To clarify, the boy he was talking about was Mexican. To him it was just an adjective to describe who he was talking about. I told him pretty much the same thing you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling you are talking about. I want my children to have an open mind and an open heart and not see those colors, just the people. You are right, it won't be the last conversation. You did good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't had to have too many difficult/sensitive conversations yet, but I've noticed Landon picks up everything we say and how we act. I try to remind myself how influential my words and actions are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed- I tend to forget that, until I hear my words coming through my little ones.

      Delete