Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The City Mouse and the Country Mouse

We recently took the boys to a fishing derby in the small town where Dadd-O and I grew up. It was so nice to slow down our normally fast-paced life and spend a few hours by a pond. Harrison liked the idea of fishing at first. He happily casted a couple of times, but he quickly lost interest. Most of his time was spent walking around, supervising and eating goldfish (crackers) from a Tupperware.

Staying hydrated (he stole that water)

I immediately began to blame myself for his lack of interest in the great outdoors- don't get me wrong we spend time outside, but we're usually in our backyard or at the park. Clearly, we have not gotten this boy out into the woods enough- I wanted him to catch frogs and climb trees, get dirty and skin his knees (not an intentional rhyme, but I think it works here). He's a social butterfly, with a kind, sensitive soul, but woodsy he is not.

Our littlest one, on the other hand, was handing me worms (unlike his father), looking for rocks, and digging in the dirt. It's clear that he loved being outside and was not afraid to get his hands (and feet and face) dirty.

Contemplating throwing something into the pond

I've always been amazed at just how very different siblings can be from one another. They were raised in the same home, by the same parents, in a similar fashion, so maybe it's nothing that I did or didn't do enough... maybe they're just different.



2 comments:

  1. I think it's just that, they are different! It's pretty cool actually! Brynn is turning into a total daredevil, the other day she climbed on top of a box and was standing up on it! Landon was always (still is) very cautious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy lady! I need to see her, it's been way too long.

    ReplyDelete